Followup: keyboard setting at boot time

Subject: Followup: keyboard setting at boot time
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 04:08:29 MST

Hello,

Some time ago, I mentioned a problem at boot time with loading the
default keymap on my configuration.

I finally figured out what went on. I'll explain this here, in case
other people are in a similar situation.

First a small recapitulation of the issue:
During boot, I always got the message
"rc.sysinit: Loading default keymap failed"

As a result, after each boot, for each virtual console I wanted to use,
I had to reset my keyboard with kbdconfig (I have a belgian azerty
keyboard, while the default is us qwerty).

I double checked all the settings, they were correct.
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard contained
"KEYTABLE=be2-latin1" and this keymap was present in /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps.

Then, after several reboots and a lot of script tracing, I discovered
what happened:
at the moment the kernel tries to load the keymap, my /usr partition is
not yet mounted ! That happens later in the same startup script. So
naturally /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps is not found.

Instead the startup script tries to read
/etc/sysconfig/console/default.kmap. Apparently that file was not
correct in my setup (or it contained references to another keymap that
could not be found).

So what I did to fix this whole issue, was to copy the be2-latin1 keymap
to /etc/sysconfig/console/default.kmap.

Geert