Re: 'moving home'

Subject: Re: 'moving home'
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 08:04:43 MST

on 2/15/02 1:59 AM, dwright5@nyc.rr.com purportedly said:

> How can i now tell my system that i have "moved home", i edited '/etc/passwd'
> at the bottom where it shows user name and put in my new path. but if i look
> at a 'env' command there are many variables that still show the old
> path.(that need to be changed?) I know that i can set $ENV{"$one_by_one"} but
> from my understanding that only changes the variable for the length of your
> session, not permanently (like in a file).

For any single user, simply editing /etc/passwd should be sufficient. You
would have to log out and log back in for the change to take effect. What
environment variables are still showing the old path? AFAIK, of the
variables that would use your home path, only $HOME and $BASH_ENV are set by
the system. Others are likely to be set manually in some shell init script
somewhere. You should check your shell init scripts, as well as the global
shell init scripts, for statements that set these variable values. If you
find any that have your home directory hard-coded, change them. It's a bad
idea to hard code home paths. You should use '~' or $HOME instead.

You *can* make "permanent" variable changes by setting them in your shell
init scripts (such as .bash_profile). But this would likely be a kludge in
this case.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.