Re: greetings; going beyond the initial connection

Subject: Re: greetings; going beyond the initial connection
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 00:08:59 MST

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 00:19:19 -0500
Taylor Armstrong <taylorarmstrong@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I've been reading through the archives and through several helpful sites
> about getting my dial-up connection going. I've progressed to the point
> that kPPP connects me to earthlink. Then the counter starts running showing
> me connected through dial-up.

Sounds like you're connected, but your default route isn't set by pppd. There some good information in the PPP HOWTO:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/

You can view your routing table by typing "/sbin/route" as root.

The easiest way to test if this is the case is to somehow find your default route (e.g. look in /var/log/messages after you're connected maybe??) and type the following command as root:

/sbin/route add default gw ipaddress
  where "ipaddress" is the default gateway's ip address.

It's been a while since I've used a modem, but I hope this helps.

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm