Re: Installing YD on a Starmax 3000

Subject: Re: Installing YD on a Starmax 3000
From: Robert Serphillips (rserphillips@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 15:40:08 MST

The way I've installed linux on 3 oldworld machines such as yours was to use bootx to boot off of the local installer image from my system folder. I wasn't even aware that I could boot the cd and install it that way! Here's what I did.

Look for the installer hqx file on the cd, uncompress and run it.
This will install bootx, the kernels (in the system folder) and two compressed installer images (also in the system folder).
Launch bootx and choose your kernel. Select options and select one of the two installer images. One of them is text and the other is X11 based. FYI, I alway use the text based installer as it is MUCH more stable. That should be all that you need to do. Once your installed just remember to uncheck the installer image next time you use bootx.

Let me know if this is the answer you looking for. Good luck

-Rob