Re: My Pismo, YDL 2.1, MultiMedia and Me

Subject: Re: My Pismo, YDL 2.1, MultiMedia and Me
From: Robert Serphillips (rserphillips@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 13:10:53 MST

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:34:50 -0000
"Dan Cook" <inundata@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Pismo, and would like to watch some DivX movies on it. However, I
> cannot seem to find any application ported to PPC that would allow me to do
> this.

The only app that I've had any luck with has been Xine. The 0.9.8 source was pretty easy to compile and plays just about every file format I've run into besides some AVI's.

> Also, related to this is the fact that the only program that supports sound
> on my Pismo is XMMS, because I can use OSS ... I need to know how to
> convince ALL of the programs that they want to use OSS by default (or
> something else compatible with a Pismo). KDE Media Player, for example,
> doesn't work because of the lack of arTS support for Pismo... I've already
> posted this error message, oh well .. I get something along the lines of
> "Asked for 16, received 17, expecting 32" from the sound driver.

OSS is not a library like esd it's compiled into the kernel. You will probably have to tell each app to use it if that support is even built into the app. Alot of apps only use esd or arts so you might be out of luck. Xine and xmms both support oss.

> Finally, I'd like to know if there's any way to run Tux Racer on PPC Linux.
> I downloaded and compiled from source the free version (0.61), but when I
> start it, it runs at less than 1fps. I doubt this is a problem with my
> computer, because I get a good 80fps on Quake under MacOS, which means that
> most games should at least be playable. In order to install Tux Racer, I
> first had to find and install the SDL-devel library .. perhaps the problem
> lies there?

Tux racer requires DRI support. Type glxinfo | less and look at the second line. If it says direct rendering: No then you'll need to figure out what the problem is. In my case it was just a matter of changeing the defualt bit depth to 16 from 15.