Re: greetings; going beyond the initial connection

Subject: Re: greetings; going beyond the initial connection
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 15:35:54 MST

On Saturday 16 February 2002 11:32 am, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> I wish you all the best in your steps to discover the wonderful world
> of UNIX and wish, there was a book or something I could recommend to
> make your transition a little easier. But what ever is out the is, in
> my eyes, just a lot of blah blah blah - if I open a book in the
> middle, and at that point, it begins to explain the 'ls' command,
> then it's no good - way to primitive. When I learned UNIX, back in
> 1984, I had a book called 'UNIX Primer Plus', but it's totally
> outdated by now and doesn't cover anything we need to know these
> days. The Linux documentation which usually lives under
> /usr/share/doc is pretty good, if you know what you're looking for ...

Linux Installation and Administration - Nicholas Wells
(Covers almost everything a newbie would need to know)

Guide to Unix Using Linux- Dent Gaddis
( the rest)

Linux In A Nutshell - O'Reilly
(Linux CLI structure)

Linux Networking and Security- Course Technology

All of the above ( as well as others) are required for the Sair Linux & GNU
Linux Certified Administration (LCA) and the Linux Professional Institute
(LPI) Cert.

Wells covers Gnome and KDE as well as X and other basics of linux including
the use of various text editors and enters the basics of shell scripting as
well as perl programming.

Gaddis goes into greater detail as well the user management and recovery
aspects.

Robert Brandtjen