Help for setting up an USB printer (Epson Stylus Color 580)

Subject: Help for setting up an USB printer (Epson Stylus Color 580)
From: Riccardo Gusso (grick@mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 21:10:52 MST

I have downloaded and built gimp-print-4.2.1-pre1 and cups-1.1.14. I tried to
add and configure my printer by the graphical interface available at
http://localhost:631 but at the end of the process when I try to print a test
page I get the error message "Unable to open USB port device file
"/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"
The steps were:
add new printer (epson580)
choosing device (USB Printer #1)
Model/Driver for epson580 (EPSON)
Model/Driver for epson580 (EPSON New Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.1 (en) )
(but shouldn't I get a list of epson printers and choose my model?)

and then I get the message that the printer has been added succesfully. But,
as I said, it doesn't work.
Any suggestion?
Bye.
                Rick