Re: Monitor Resolution (URGENT)

Subject: Re: Monitor Resolution (URGENT)
From: Roger Chrisman (rogerhc@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 18:04:49 MST

>I am having the same trouble, but am stuck at 640x480, 8 bit. I went
>over to and did /usr/sbin/fbset -g 1024 768 16 but all it does is
>show me the commands to fbset. Now before it would just say
>bash:fbset: command not found.
>
>Someone mentioned manually editing etc/x11/xf86config.
>how is this done? i am a newbie newbie, it took a while just to cd
>over to find that file to begin with.

Two alternatives to configuring manually:

1) Sax or Sax2. Look for them under the system configuration menus
--somewhere like that I think it was.

2) Or run this Python configuration script, if it in on you system:
/usr/lib/yi/dexter.py

These worked for me kinda sorta, on my 733Mhz G4 w/ NVIDIA GeForce2
MX video card and Nokia 445Pro VGA monitor. I had bad screen
flickering at the low resolutions, not so bad at higher resolutions.

Manually configuring the video config file may be hazardous if you
are not on top of it -- I read incorrect settings can permanently
damage your hardware.

Good luck,

Roger :-)