Re: Unstable Kernels

Subject: Re: Unstable Kernels
From: Joe Villari (joev_nylxs@pipeline.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 06:04:45 MST

>I installed both kernels that come with YDL 2.1 but none is very
>stable and this is unacceptable for me (i have MacOS already
>unstable and don't need Linux for this).
>
>Then, downloaded (binaries .tar.gz) and installed the 2.4.18-rc1 bk
>tree but there is no sound module in /lib/modules folder
>(dmasound_pmac don't load of course). At end, i don't have sound and
>btw, can't mount hfs formated disks because the krnel don't support
>it.
>
>I know, i can to compile my own kernel but is better to get one that
>work out of the box.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Pietro

I'm using a bk stable 2.4.17 kernel on my TI PowerBook. I used the
generic one already compiled from http://www.ppckernel.org. You can
find it in their archives. It supports sound but doesn't seem to
support the pcmcia card, sleep or modem on my TI PowerBook. If you
can live with this it was very easy to install and get me running
where I can now work on tweaking the modules.

They also have several "special" kernels for specific machines there.

Joe