Re: Compiling latest kernel...

Subject: Re: Compiling latest kernel...
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 12:16:39 MST

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Dylan Ward wrote:
>I downloaded the latest benh kernel via rsync. I proceeded to compile
>it and everything went well. I rebooted my pbook using the new kernel.
>Everything looked ok except for a few services which had failed (sound,
>pmud and the trackpad). I wasn't to worried about the services failing
>because I thought that I could sort that after I logged in. I got to
>the login prompt and went to type in my name and found out that the
>keyboard wasn't working. I couldn't type anything.

 Sounds like you compiled the kernel without ADB support. Funny enough,
the powerbooks and iBooks need ADB for keyboard and trackpad support. I
found this out the hard way as well. If it is a newer machine, chances are
you can simply plug in a USB mouse and keyboard (if you have one around)
and it will work. Then re-compile with ADB support.

>Does anyone know where I could find a Howto, or any docs for that
>matter, on compiling ppc kernels.

 I was hoping to get one up last week, but got bogged down in my holidays
of all things. Now that I'm back at work, I might have some time free some
evening this week.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017