modem doesn't init

Subject: modem doesn't init
From: Ryan Mesler (kraylus@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 20:58:21 MST

oook...

ive tried several things to get this working. the default kernel is 2.2.19
and it's the YDL 2.0 distro. the modem doesn't want to init. the system can
see it at /dev/ttyS0 though.

what happens is the same thing for all dialers (kppp, wvdial, minicom,
etc.). it sends the ATZ command and the modem doesn't respond with "OK".
kppp will sit there and try forever whereas wvdial times out after a bit. i
scanned a few online resources on my other machine and found that others
were having the same exact problems, but only one resolution was posted.

this was to update to the 2.4 kernel. so i booted into macOS, downloaded a
specialized kernel for my specific iMac (500MHz Indigo). i got the kernel
from http://www.ppckernel.org/ and burned it to a cd (claimed that it has
modem support).

i then booted back into linux, followed the instructions to replace the
kernel and restarted. after the first reboot i did depmod -a and rebooted
again. sound didn't load properly. whenever i move my mouse i get static
from the speakers. kde couldnt play sounds either but i could play mp3s in
the console using mpg123.

and on top of all that the modem still doesn't work. however! in wvdial, it
gets past the ATZ command. i can hear the modem click in my speakers, then
it comes back saying that the modem is not responding :( i tried various
inits i found at work (i work for an ISP) that are known to work with mac
modems, but none have changed anything.

i'm about to return the iMac and go for a pc. can anyone, anyone at all
please help me with this? i'll try anything.

R.L. Mesler <Kraylus>
Call me Kray

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

ICQ: 45088864
AIM: Kraylus