My kingdom for an iMac running YDL that can play cds...

Subject: My kingdom for an iMac running YDL that can play cds...
From: Justin DelVecchio (Justin.DelVecchio@cognigencorp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 07:17:33 MST

Ok, this topic has been beaten to death but my symptoms seem slightly
different. First, I am running an iMac that shipped in May of 2001 with 400mhz
and a dvd player.

First, as you may have guessed, I cannot get cd's to play through kscd or the
cd player provided by Gnome. The cd players do not register the number of
tracks when I
insert the cd and pressing play does nothing. What gets me is the fact that it
will not recognize the number of tracks but will gladly eject my cd when I
press eject. I realize this is a hardware issue that may be impossible to
resolve at this time but does anyone have any advice? Even if the advice is
"Give up." at least I would stop reading the groups and downloading stuff like
the xmms plugin or cdparanoia...

Second, my soundcfg in /usr/sbin is toast!! It blinks with a red backgroud
anytime I open the directory it is located in with xterm. Pretty humorous. I
have this app
basically screaming that the sound on my iMac is messed up - don't I know it!!

Third, I have set my system to play system sounds when I do simple tasks like
log in, close a window, create a new window, etc. The sound gets played but is
always
delayed by about 15 seconds after the action!! Pretty pathetic. I must be
missing something simple.

Later tonight I am going to sit down with a 5th of vodka and attempt to get my
printer working through a usb cable on an imac running YDL.. Yeah, that ought
to go by the numbers....