Re: Problems partitioning my YDL disk...

Subject: Re: Problems partitioning my YDL disk...
From: Bion Pohl (bpohl@ebay.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 18:39:53 MST

I just did this in my machine (a WallStreet) by cheating a little. I
was wanting to wipe my old YDL partitions and the 'Scuttle' hfs
partition off my drive but leave my OS9.2 and OSX partitions.

What I did was got the old ramdisk image from my YDL1.1 and booted the
BootX from it using the 2.2.19 kernel. This took me into the old
installer that used fdisk to do the partitioning. It is a command line
utility so it take some looking at the help (the '?' command) but it is
pretty easy. I used it to blow away my old swap, boot, and ext2, and
then the small hfs partition that both YDL and MacOS can see. I then
used the 'C' (<- note capital) to make a new 300MB Apple_HFS partition
right after the other two Mac partitions. I left the rest of the space
blank for the YDL2.1 installer to set up in later.

When I booted into OS9 it complained that the 300MB partition needed
formatting so I let it do it. I then switched my BootX to finnish the
YDL2.1 install.

The only hazard of this was with the MacOS X partition. Something about
fdisk messes up the partition map so trying to go into OSX leaves you at
a weird firmware prompt. Doing a fresh minimal install off the OSX disk
fixed that. (Disk First Aid didn't seem to help. I don't know if a
Norton's would.)

I make no claims and you run your own risks trying this. I just know I
was able to do it.

Bion

--Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:48:35 -0500 (EST), John Nelson
<john@computation.com>

If this is true, then I see no way to put an HFS partition on a disk
with
an existing YDL partition set.

-- John

--

"I am a bear of very little brain, and long words bother me." -- Edward "Pooh" Bear (via A. A. Milne)