Re: Re: Top No CPU Stats

Subject: Re: Re: Top No CPU Stats
duanestites@cox.net
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 21:16:55 MST

The cat /proc/loadavg did work, I was able to see the
load. I have run top as a normal user and root, both
have the same issue. The procps ver is the default
YD2.1 (2.0.7-3). I ran tops whil compiling a kernel,
playing an mp3 and a few other things and when I do
the -C option(which does give me the cpu stats) it just
says 0.0% across the board.

Duane

> From: Ken Schweigert <ken@byte-productions.com>
> Date: 2002/02/20 Wed PM 05:06:47 EST
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Subject: Re: Re: Top No CPU Stats
>
> Duane,
>
> Are you able to 'cat /proc/loadavg'? Does it give
permission denied?
> Is your proc filesystem readable by regular users?
Will top show
> CPU states as the root user? Which version of
procps do you have installed?

> Also, what are you doing to cause a load on your
system? I have a firewall
> that constantly reports "0.00 0.00 0.00" because it's
only passing packets.
> If you have X installed, launch it and open up a
terminal inside and see

duanestites@cox.net wrote:
> > I tried the "t" option and it does remove the stats but
it still does not show the "CPU States:" usage
information. I also tried deleting the .toprc file and I
have the same problem.

<ken@byte-productions.com>
> > > Date: 2002/02/20 Wed PM 04:39:23 EST
> > > To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> > > Subject: Re: Top No CPU Stats
> > >
> > > Duane,
> > >
> > > top runs as an interactive process. If you hit 't' it'll
toggle on/off the
> > > summary stats. Hit '?' for other nifty toggles. Also
check for the
> > > presence of the file .toprc in your home directory.
If it's there, and you
> > > have your summary line displaying, hit 'W' to
write-out this file.

> > > top is also a front-end to some structures in the
proc filesystem. You can
> > > get the same results, although not formatted
pretty, by doing :
> > > [ken@byte-8 ken]$ cd /proc
> > > [ken@byte-8 /proc]$ cat loadavg
> > > 1.02 1.01 1.00 2/35 868
> > > [ken@byte-8 /proc]$ cat uptime
> > > 11056.90 29.73
> > > [ken@byte-8 /proc]$ cat meminfo
> > > total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
> > > Mem: 393519104 68407296 325111808
42811392 4042752 30302208

duanestites@cox.net wrote:
> [...]
user, 0.3% system, 0.0% nice, 99.6% idle"
information. I tried starting it up with the -C switch. This
brings up the CPU stats line, but everything shows as
0.0% no mater what I am doing.

kernel (this also happened with the original kernel).
Has anyone had this happen or know of a fix?