Yup revisited

Subject: Yup revisited
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 09:50:02 MST

Note: This message is addressed at people expeciencing problems with yup
as well as people at terrasoft solutions.

A while ago I asked a question about yup on my system. The fix that
worked for most people, but not for me was
$ yup clean all
$ yup config dist
$ yup config mirror

After some more investigation and playing with the /etc/yup.conf file I
finally got yup to work correctly.

I will explain here what I did to get things to work.

- For the xx'iest time I ran 'yup list', which again did not work. At
some point it just ends with the cryptic message "Error:" - that's it.

- Reading /etc/yup.conf, I gathered that with no initial configuration,
yup takes the installation CD as the mirror site or rpm database. Very
clever, so I insert my installation CD and mount it in /mnt/cdrom.

- I run 'yup list' again - unsuccessfully. Reading /etc/yup.conf better,
yup assumes the cdrom to be mounted on /mnt/media.

NOTE TO THE PEOPLE AT TERRASOFT: As far as I can remember my
installation never created /mnt/media, only /mnt/cdrom ! Is this a bug
in yup ? Most people of course wouldn't run into this bug, because most
everybody immediatly configures another mirror.

- Anyway, just for testing purposes, I create a softlink /mnt/media,
pointing to /mnt/cdrom and run 'yup list updates' again. To my utter
amazement, yup ran well this time ! Yahoo, victory ! Upon closer
inspection, I understood that the list I saw was from my cdrom. This was
already something, but not what I would consider useful.

- So I run 'yup config mirror' once more. As before, yup displays the
message:
Retrieving http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/yup/yup.master.txt
and hangs.
I still haven't figured this one out yet. It seems file downloads via
http don't seem to work at my machine. I don't know yet if this is a
problem with my configuration or with yup. I seem to have read somewhere
that yup ignores my proxy settings and that tha t would be the cause.

IF SOMEONE CAN ENLIGHTEN ME HERE, PLEASE DO. Thank you.

- Anyway, I could read this 'yup.master.txt' via mozilla and it wasn't
too hard to understand the format. So instead of running 'yup config
mirror' to configure yup, I manually edited /etc/yup.conf to do the same
thing. This is my current /etc/yup.conf:

.master http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/yup/yup.master.txt
.dist-option Yellow Dog Linux release 2.1
.arch-option ppc
.begin mirror-option
    .name Sunet (http)
    .addr
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/yellowdog-2.1/
    .arch ppc
.end

Note that I used an ftp mirror server instead of a http one, because of
the above mentioned problem.

- Now there were to other minor problems because of yup's cache. These
were solved by a 'yup clean all', I believe.

- Next I typed 'yup list' again, and... YES, yup contacted the mirror
site, and produced a list.

- yup list updates showed me which updates were available and yup update
effectively installed them.

Thank you Terrasoft for this simple yet flexible tool. Only two
questions for you guys:
1. Is the /mnt/media thing effectively a bug ? If so, I suppose you know
how to deal with it further, or you just tell me how to report it
officially.

2. Any ideas suggestions on the http-download/proxy issue ?

Thanks and I hope others find my experiences useful as well.

Geert