Re: Old PowerMacs better?

Subject: Re: Old PowerMacs better?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 14:55:42 MST

At 12:47 PM -0500 2/21/02, James O'Reilly wrote:
>It seems that if I try to run YDL 2.1 on the iMac I have problems with
>incompatibilities with USB drives, whereas the old PowerMacs (601, 603, or
>604 chips) such as the 7200, 7500, 8500, 8600, 9500, or 9600, to name the
>most recent, are compatible with YDL. In other words, their floppy drives
>are serial devices which can be addressed by YDL. I suspect that YDL was
>designed for the old PowerMacs and works better with them.

Nonsense -- the people who created the YDL distribution wrote neither
the USB subsystem of the Linux kernel nor the PowerMac floppy driver
(also a part of the kernel).

If you are having problems with a USB device go to
http://linux-usb.sf.net and look at the list of supported devices.
If your device is on the list it should work (provided that you have
up to date USB code, which basically just means a recent 2.4 series
kernel). If it is on the list and it doesn't work at all, you may
not have the relevant driver (kernel module) installed, or it may not
have been loaded.

--
Tim Seufert