ethernet / dialup

Subject: ethernet / dialup
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 00:34:34 MST

Hi all,

When I use my laptop at home, I have a dialup connection,
but I also bring it into work and use ethernet there.

For dialup, I first have to su in as root and
"route del default" to get rid of eth0 as the default route.

For ethernet, again I first have to su in as root and
this time type "pump" to.... well, OK, I really don't
know what pump does; all I know is that I have to do
it before ethernet'll work.

My question is, what's the super-smooth way a real Linux
jock would setup his/her startup scripts so that he/she
would never have to worry about this? Or do I just suck it up?

Cheers,
Andy