Re: ssh question

Subject: Re: ssh question
From: mike cullerton (yellowdog@cullerton.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 12:43:18 MST

well, i wish i knew what happened, but you were definitely on the right
track. i opened up a new shell on the remote box (which is a macosx box)
and noticed my prompt was something like

 [i have no username @localhost michael]$

and, a "whoami" revealed "user 501"

i couldn't login to the box and started to panic. recently, i had just
added a big (empty) drive and figured someone was telling me that it really
was time for that new install and tried rebooting off my install cd.
something went wrong with trying to boot off the cd and my box ended up
booting normally.

 now everything seems to be working.

wow!

fingers crossed,
mike

--On Friday, February 22, 2002 2:18 PM -0500 Ken Schweigert
<ken@byte-productions.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> That message is generated when you try to shell in as a user that does
> not exist on the remote system; or at least not valid for openssh. I've
> seen this happen when the user on the remote system doesn't have a valid
> shell specified in /etc/passwd. Also check to see if the pam module got
> installed.
> [ken@byte-8 ken]$ ls /etc/pam.d/sshd
> /etc/pam.d/sshd
> [ken@byte-8 ken]$
>
> Also, make sure you specify the username with the '-l' switch.
> [ken@byte-8 ken]$ ssh -l billyjoejimbob 192.168.0.150
>
> HTH
>
> --
> -Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
> Byte Productions, LLC
> http://www.byte-productions.com
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:53:49AM -0700, mike cullerton wrote:
>> hey folks,
>>
>> new install on iMac SE. can't ssh into the box from a remote machine. i
>> get a message "You don't exist, go away!". i can however do a "ssh
>> localhost" from the box itself and it does work. same account.
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> thanks,
>> mike
>>

>> -- mike cullerton yellowdog at cullerton dot com

 -- mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton dot com