Re: Online but DNS Forwarding not working

Subject: Re: Online but DNS Forwarding not working
From: cubisss (cubisss@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 02:53:50 MST

on 2/22/02 9:03 PM, Robert Brandtjen at rob@prometheusmedia.com allegedly
wrote:

>> On Friday 22 February 2002 05:05 pm, cubisss wrote:
>>> I am online with my Linux Box (YDL on PM 7200/120). I was able to FTP from
>>> netscape by using their IP address from the shell, and within KDE I run
>>> mozilla and can pull up pages by IP address, but not by URL.
>>>
>>> My /etc/resolv.conf is:
>>>
>>> search localdomain
>>> nameserver 192.168.111.1
>>
>> Did you remember to open up port 53 on the ipnetrouter box ?

Yes, port 53 seems to be "Domain," as far as I can tell. I'll fiddle with
that. Do you really suppose the problem is with my router, since the macs on
the network get their DNS just fine I figured I had erred at the Linux Box.

>> you really ought to read the FAQ for linux ipmasquerading and install YDL on
>> that 8.6 box and do it up right, 10 meg ethernet cards are cheap.
>>
>> Rob

I agree that ideally my Linux would be my router. Unfortunately, I currently
need to keep the existing mac address as the router, and that machine needs
to run Mac OS for my current tasks...

Cheap is a relative term, and to the unemployed, the bar is set pretty low.
I promise the next time I set up this network, all server tasks to be done
by Linux