Re: Partition Ordering-YDL+Mac OSX

Subject: Re: Partition Ordering-YDL+Mac OSX
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 10:00:35 MST

It has always been my Linux installation habit to put the bootloader
partition as early as possible on the partition map (the first available
one, if possible; if not then the first available in Linux install) and to
put swap at the end with any free space after that.

I don't think it's particularly important which order the rest of Linux
goes; it always seems to work for me. Of course, with *NIX partitioning
you can "have it your way" to a degree that's truly maddening to
first-time users.

Whether MacOS or Linux, partitions past the 16th virtual partition cannot
be seen/used; this is sometimes a factor when you have both versions of
MacOS on different partitions (preferred over a single OS9/X setup in my
opinion) and want to specifically locate a number of linux directories (or
multiple swap partitions) on individual virtual partitions.