Re: eCommerce, anyone?

Subject: Re: eCommerce, anyone?
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 14:53:13 MST

It's important to be very specific with this issue; like I said the
similar names is very unfortunate.
Java can be run from a browser or not. The Java Plug-in is from Sun. MS's
implementation of Java is indeed the stuff of lawsuits.
JavaScript is entirely different, they are not compatible. Java will not
run a JavaScript and vice versa.
Java Applets use a OS-specific runtime to run the cross-platform Applet.
Because a browser is one (but not the only) way to load and run a Java
Applet, the plug-in exists.
As Sun is quick to point out, there is no such thing as a JavaScript
Applet, it is just plain JavaScript.
Similarly, there is no such thing as a Java Script, it is either
JavaScript or Java Applet. Perhaps to reduce the confusion (which clearly
is already too late) Sun makes a big deal about the specific words used to
describe each.

Sorry if I'm getting a little pedantic here, it's really a common problem
and a rename of one or the other is really in order.