Re: A few (lot?) queries from a neophyte

Subject: Re: A few (lot?) queries from a neophyte
From: Eric D. (liriodendron@mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 16:47:01 MST

on 27/2/02 16:34, nathan r. hruby at nhruby@arches.uga.edu wrote:

>> Hello all, I'm slowly exposing myself to the wonderful [ly frustrating]
>> world of Linux + YellowDog Linux 2.1.

> Resolution in X? Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config or run Xconfigurator, or
> xf86setup. This has gond round and round on the list, do use the archives
> you should find a method that works for you there.

So, there's no GUI based "control panel" to change this? (I'd seen the CLUI
stuff in the archives but was hoping that there was something less
intimidating).

> access to HFS+ partitions can't be done. best you can do is mount a plain
> ol HFS partition with mount -t hfs /dev/<device> /<mountpoint>
> (mount is explained in further in the user guides - not sure what the
> status of the HFS+ driver is or if there is one)

I read that there was an "app" that could access HFS+ partitions (no
specifics given on the YDL page where I read it). Seems rather odd that
support doesn't exist since formatting a 1+ GB drive HFS results in a great
waste of space (where a 1 byte file can take up, for example, 256 K)

>> (3) How can you turn on/off the KDE virtual desktop option (kind of a cool
>> feature)? Is it simple or does it involve lots of fiddling (can't find it in
>> KDE's on-line help)?
>
> This is in the XF86Config as well. One of the setup tools mentioned above
> should let you chnage it.

Are there any documents that describe such tools without all the technical
jargon (or extraneous information) of man pages?

>> (6) If I set a Mac OS partition as a startup disk I lose the ability to boot
>> the Linux partition. How can I reset the Linux parition as a startup
>> partition (with yaboot... don't quite understand how that works but I
>> presume it's the boot loader).
>>

> See the archives http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com/ Essentailly startup
> disk changes the same OpenFirmware settings that ybin does. I have my
> piso set yto boot the linux partition only when holding spacebar at boot
> (as from the 1.2.1 setup guide) which works well too. Tehre is also
> documentation on the YDL website that should tell you how to do a triboot
> as well as in the archives. this is probbaly what you want to look for.

I think I'm already doing what you're describing. I already have a triboot
system (OS 9 default (m), OS X (x) and Linux (l)). My problem is that when I
set the OS 9 or X partitions as the startup disk in the Mac OS Startup Disk
control panel, I lose the ability to boot the Linux partition. Are there OS
9 apps that allow you to set the Linux boot partition, or is there some way
to activate an "OpenFirmware" command (on a B&W, 2nd Rev (option doesn't
seem to work on restart)) that will allow you to set an alternate boot
partition?

> Sound, I dunno (my servers don't need sound :) networking can be setup
> with netcfg if you didn't do it at install time. also read the net HOWTO.
> kpp has been said to work well for dialup connections, but I haven't used
> a modem in so long that I couldn't tell you for sure.

I have internet working fine -- I need AppleTalk (and/or Novell Netware)
functionality to access the department's server and printer (not that I
really need it in my YDL install, but I want to learn (I just don't want to
learn too many CLUI commands -- with any luck CLUI will be dead as a dodo
bird for anything expect for scripting or programming, even on Linux, in a
year or two)).

Thanks for the helpful comments Nathan & Stephanie.

L8r, Eric.