Re: A few (lot?) queries from a neophyte

Subject: Re: A few (lot?) queries from a neophyte
From: Jonathan Singer (jsinger@genome.wi.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 07:08:51 MST

People got most of these already...

>(3) How can you turn on/off the KDE virtual desktop option (kind of a cool
>feature)? Is it simple or does it involve lots of fiddling (can't find it in
>KDE's on-line help)?

What exactly do you mean by "virtual desktop"? If it's the four workspaces, go to KControl->Look & Feel->Desktop->Number of Desktops.

Whatever it is, it's almost certainly not something that requires touching XF86Config.

>(5) How well does FreeBSD work when compared to YDL 2.1? GUI? Ease of
>installation? Ease of configuration (for a CLUI phobic... though, I suppose
>with the proliferation of OS X & Linux I ought to learn)?

My only attempt to install it failed because of hardware issues. By reputation it's easy to update, but lacks a lot of the hardware support and niceties of Linux. It is more similar to Darwin than Linux is.

If you want to try a BSD-ish Unix on Mac hardware, try either NetBSD or Darwin.

>(6) If I set a Mac OS partition as a startup disk I lose the ability to boot
>the Linux partition. How can I reset the Linux parition as a startup
>partition (with yaboot... don't quite understand how that works but I
>presume it's the boot loader).

I have this too. (It has to do with "blessing" of partitions.) My fix is to boot into Open Firmware (cmd-opt-O-F) and do a 'boot hd:x,yaboot' where x is your root partition number. (Or is the boot partition number? I forget.) Run ybin as root once you've logged in.

Is there a better method? The real answer is to create separate OS 9 and OS X partitions and use yaboot to pick one or the other. For space reasons, I don't want to do that.

>(7) If I login without the GUI (e.g. opt-ctrl-F2), how can I activate the
>KDE GUI? I thought it was xstart but that doesn't do anything other than
>swear)

startx, and you may need to modify ~/.xinitrc to launch what you want.