Question regarding video card compatibility.

Subject: Question regarding video card compatibility.
From: Ferwerda Darren (app3dxf) (app3dxf@ups.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 07:41:57 MST

The "most compatible" video card that the new dual G4s come with is the
Radeon. I am going to ask two questions regarding these machines, and video
card compatibility in general. One of the questions may seem irrelevant,
but I still think important.

First question: How is the Radeon support coming in both frame buffer, and
/ or X. Is X accelerated yet for the radeon? Is this support in the most
current release, or is it only available via CVS? When I ask about support,
does anyone have it running? Any caveats, etc... How hard is it to get a
working machine?

Second question: Is it possible to pickup an off the shelf r128 based video
card and use it on a G4. Are there any endian issues that may necessitate
that the video card be flashed with the latest or different firmware. I
remember that to make a X86 Voodoo 3 and banshee work on a mac, you had to
flash the card with a different version of the firmware than came from the
company. Is this still an issue? Would it be feasible to pickup a dual G4
and throw in a cheap r128 w/32 megs to get accelerated X on it?

Darren Ferwerda
United Parcel Service
Infrastructure QA
C-506