Modem Madness

Subject: Modem Madness
cbsled@ncia.net
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 08:56:04 MST

It worked fine under YDL 2.0...

New HD in a Wallstreet, fresh install of 2.1 from YDL CD.
The first time I tried to find the modem using "Query Modem" in kppp, (since I forgot where it was), it saw a couple of ATI* strings returned from /dev/ttys0. So I tried that. No go. So I started checking through the list again, and got a couple more hits on /dev/ttys2. No go there either. But neither ttys* returned the full set of ATI* strings that I know the modem puts out. Since then, and through two very cold reboots, I have not been able to get any ATI* strings back from /dev/ttys*, or any echo in the kppp terminal. I got it to dial once after setting the delays to 200, but the connection didn't function, and it wouldn't dial again after that. I see that I'm not the only one having trouble with my modem. What's up?

If anyone has a working setup under 2.1 on a Wallstreet, or even any similar Powerbook, could you please post *all* the particulars?

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
I don't use Windows.