Re: questions about mac partitions...

Subject: Re: questions about mac partitions...
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:44:39 MST

It's entirely up to you, but I think 10GB is a very generous partition
size for Linux, I find 6GB to be more than adequate.
I would create the first partition as HFS at whatever minimum size Drive
Setup allows or the recommended 10MB (which is probably generous as well,
but it's what is recommended by YDL). In my particular case, my verison of
Drive Setup had a minimum size of 32MB.
Since you plan to use MacOS as a kind of Linux troubleshooting solution,
it wouldn't hurt to have a 700 or 1400MB HFS partition you could mount in
Linux to take packages from (1x CD.iso and 2x CD.iso sizes are handy).
Once Drive Setup has created it's Mac partitions, you can leave free space
("unallocated") for your Linux install and use the Linux partitioner tools
for that.
So, create partitions in Drive Setup:
1 HFS (small, for bootloader)
1 HFS+ (for MacOS)
1 HFS (optional, whatever size you think you might need as a Linux/Mac
shared disk)
Unallocated (the rest, for Linux)

Handy tips with Drive Setup:
Use the tab key to toggle between partitions, useful when they are small
and can't be resized with the graphical window. You can enter the size
with the numeric keys in the window. Once you think you are done, but
before commiting to partitioning, use the tab key to double-check the
sizes and especially whether you intend to have HFS standard or HFS
Extended (or unallocated).
Be sure to use HFS Standard for Bootloader and Linux Shared partitions,
but for MacOS partition itself HFS+ is recommended. The rest can be
unallocated.
Once you get into the YDL partitioner, you will see the (normally
invisible) directory, etc partitions. If you use Linux alone, you can
delete all but the first Mac formatting partition, but for a Mac/Linux
dual boot system be careful to leave all the mac formatting partitions
alone (the first 6 to 8 virtual partitions, depending on MacOS used). You
will recognise them by their funny names and the fact that they will
precede the first indicated HFS/HFS+ partition).
It's always a good idea to put your bootloader as early as possible in the
partition map, it makes it easier for the Mac HW to find. In practical
terms this means 7th to 9th virtual partitions, as seen in YDL install.
Remember to select and format this partition with YDL but leave the other
1 (Mac HFS+) or two (HFS+ and shared) partitions alone.