Re: yellowdog-general Digest 2 Jan 2001 07:22:37 -0000 Issue 318

Subject: Re: yellowdog-general Digest 2 Jan 2001 07:22:37 -0000 Issue 318
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 04:07:52 MST

>or something like that ... I never noticed anywhere in the documentation
>about being able to use the YDL cd for something like that.. and I never
>found a way to get to the console during a YDL install... is it possible or
>is it a missing _feature_?
>
>--Steve "Loco3KGT" Gula

Steve: during the RH-based YDL installer, command-f2 (or is it f3? I
forget) gives you a shell prompt. I used this last time I installed
to do the mknod needed to use the /dev/input/mice layer of the usb
backport by BenH.

Also, there is in the CD's a rescue.image.gz file; used as a
bootable ramdisk, puts you into single-user mode, allowing resuce
operations. Need to configure the yaboot.conf to get to it on NW
machines. (I keep one of my boot options set for that image on my
hda12 yaboot partition; I can't remember if I applied the needed
mouse patch or not...) it is possible to hack that ramdisk (the mount
was a royal pain, having to use a loopback device), and set the
needed device supports. In fact, I know I hacked one of the ramdisk
files to include in the fstab my yaboot partition. (I keep spare and
unpatched kernels there, too.)

-wil

--
William F. Hostman  |  "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"