RE: recompiling kernel on RS/6000...

Subject: RE: recompiling kernel on RS/6000...
From: Stefan Schneider (stefan.schneider@comsat.com.ve)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 07:56:51 MST

From: Chih-Chang Hsieh <cch@cc.kmu.edu.tw>

> > Perhaps your scsi card isn't supported with the boot disk kernel? I
didn't
> > have any scsi
> > related problems.
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> My SCSI card is sym53c8xx, and you?
> Maybe I need to replace SCSI card.
> Could you show me your "dmesg" on F50?

If your kernel is stuck with an 888 display in the RS/6k leds or an E1Cx
it's the SCSI car driver.

I have several B50, which uses a sym53c89, for some bizarre reason the
driver is totally broken in the 2.2.17 tree, it works in the 2.4.0-test
tree, but the Matrox drivers are broken (I have GTX130P adaptor, basically a
Millenium II in disguise). I haven't tested the 2.2.18 or the newer releases
of 2.4.0-test because since I'm switching jobs I've been having less time to
play. My solution (I needed to recompile a kernel to add ipchains,
ipforwarding and transparent proxy support) was to use the stock 2.2.15 in
YDL 1.2 and patch it with whatever was needed.

Hope this helps.

Stefan