Re: rs/6000 kernel help

Subject: Re: rs/6000 kernel help
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 21:55:33 MST

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Kevin Hall wrote:

> After compiling a kernel, which files do I put where? Right now I have tried
> putting /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/chrpboot/zImage into my PReP partition by
> running "dd if=./zImage of=/dev/sda1" and then I put System.map into /boot

That's one way to do it (assuming you have a CHRP machine). With OF though
you can just put the kernel on a FAT partition and set your boot-device
vars, but I believe CHRP machines try to boot from PPC Boot partitions
just like PReP's do.

Please see http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_rs6k.shtml for more
information.

> and I don't know what to put for the /boot/zImage symbolic link

Don't worry about that.

> I have gotten various errors, but the one
> that is farthest along the booting process ends with "calling quiesce...".
> I've tested kernel 2.2.17 thoroughly and lightly tried to get 2.2.15,
> 2.2.18, and even 2.4.0prerelease but I never get linux to boot.

I don't recall what hardware you're using? You almost definately want to
join the linuxppc-workstation mailing list at http://lists.linuxppc.org.

-Hollis