Re: One more time

Subject: Re: One more time
From: Stephen Lewis (lewis@napanet.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 21:44:39 MST

It is not clear why you are trying to restrict this user.
Normally permissions are used to control what a user can see and what
a user can execute. If he has permission he can "browse".
So the best thing to do is create a group for this user
(which Yellowdog adduser does by default) and unless the
permission bits for a file include 'world' or this users
'group' he will not be able to see/execute a file.
Normally directories in '/' have the execute bits set
for 'world' access but it need not be so. Try turning
off the bits for any directory you don't want this user to see

e.g as root
cd /
chmod 750 usr

Now an ordinary user will not see *anything* that begins
'/usr' - is that what you need? If the user does 'cd /usr'
it won't actually "go back to their directory" it will simply
say "Permission Denied" and remain where it is. If you need more
than one user like this then you create a 'group' for users who
*are* allowed in /usr and change the group of /usr

chgrp mygroup usr

read 'man chmod' carefully and use 'ls -l' to see permissions,
read 'man group', 'man groups' and look in '/etc/group'
Stephen Lewis