RE: rs/6000 kernel help

Subject: RE: rs/6000 kernel help
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 10:46:46 MST

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Stefan Schneider wrote:

> From: Hollis R Blanchard <hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu>
> > On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Kevin Hall wrote:
> >
> > > After compiling a kernel, which files do I put where? Right now I have
> > > tried putting /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/chrpboot/zImage into my PReP
> > > partition by running "dd if=./zImage of=/dev/sda1" and then I put
> > > System.map into /boot
> >
> > That's one way to do it (assuming you have a CHRP machine). With OF though
> > you can just put the kernel on a FAT partition and set your boot-device
> > vars, but I believe CHRP machines try to boot from PPC Boot partitions
> > just like PReP's do.
>
> No, not FAT, he needs a PReP boot partition (And it needs to be the first
> partition in the disk) in order to boot... the RS/6K is able to load
> compressed and uncompressed images as long as they're gzipped and not
> bzipped.

I'm aware that CHRP machines *can* use a PPC Boot partition, but with OF
they shouldn't have to. If you can 'boot floppy:\ZIMAGE', why can't you
boot from a file on a FAT partition?

> > Please see http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_rs6k.shtml for more
> > information.
>
> The faq is a bit outdated, Dan (Burcaw) has a page in the terraplex servers
> outlining the real procedures to run Linux from an RS/6K

What is the URL? I'm fairly sure he 'really' installed with the instructions
on the above page. :)

[snip]

> The Symbios driver is b0rked since 2.2.16 for some bizarre reason, I use
> 2.2.15 from the YDL CD and patch it accordingly.

Hmm, I'm away from my PReP machine right now, but I thought I had it running
with a Symbios card... at any rate, a symbios 875 works fine in my B&W G3
running 2.2.18 final.

> In my experience 2.4.0
> works better than 2.2.1x with the RS hardware if and only if you get it to
> boot.

That's the trick... :)

> > > I have gotten various errors, but the one that is farthest along the
> > > booting process ends with "calling quiesce...". I've tested kernel
> > > 2.2.17 thoroughly and lightly tried to get 2.2.15, 2.2.18, and even
> > > 2.4.0prerelease but I never get linux to boot.
> >
> > I don't recall what hardware you're using? You almost definately want to
> > join the linuxppc-workstation mailing list at http://lists.linuxppc.org.
>
> If he gets that far it means framebuffer is working, CHRP IDE chipset
> is working (Or not compiled) and the Symbios driver has started
> transferring,

I think that text happens extremely early in the boot process, and is
displayed via OF display routines. IOW I don't think the kernel's video has
even kicked in (much less IDE, ethernet, etc).

> the problem might be the buggy Sym53C8x driver or the built in
> ethernet controller. If he has an F50 it might be SMP support, if he has a
> B50 most probably is the SCSI card. If someone is interested I can send you
> guys my .config for the 2.2.15 kernel (Works+IPforwarding+Proxy+Other stuff)
> over the mail (Outside the list to minimize traffic)

-Hollis