Ethernet pain

Subject: Ethernet pain
From: Elliott (kilowatt@cinci.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 21:51:17 MST

Ok. This is a bit of a unique situation, but here we go.
I've got a PowerMacintosh G3 Rev.A computer with the on-board 10baseT
ethernet. This internel ethernet doesn't work, however, due to some
electrical problems we had about 3 months ago (been running YD CS 1.2.1
for about a day or two). I've got another ethernet card installed, its a
farlon, or somthing, I thing, with a "digital" chip set (DECxxx or
something). Its the tulip driver, I'm almost positive. Anyway, YD can't
use it.
Here's a bit more detail:
When YD starts up, it defines the ethernet cards like this (kinda):
eth0: BMAC
eth1: DIGITAL DEC
(or something like that)
Basically, YD decides which card is to be eth0 and which one is eth1. I
believe this is when YDL is booting the kernel (not starting system
services). Well, Its ok with me if the on-board ethernet insists on
being a part of my machine, but I would like eth1 to work. I'm on a dhcp
network. Anyway, when I configure the seccond card (eth1, the tulip)
under linuxconf, all goes well until I try and bring up the card with
"ifup eth1"
I get this message:
usage: ifup <device name>
I'm not exact on this stuff caus I can't exactly email from a
non-networked computer.
I've checked /etc/conf.modules, and there is an entry for eth1 (alias
eth1 tulip).
But for some reason, eth1 isn't a valid alias or something.
Anyway, I did try configuring the lan card as eth0 in linuxconf, and
ifup eth0 doesn't work (it tries to get the ip address for like 5
minutes with no success).
Now, I've been browsing the red hat archives, and I've come accross a
kernel argument called ether=
According to the archive, I can specify the irq and such of the ethernet
card as well as if it will be eth0 or eth1 or whatever.
I'd really like to get that screeming box networked, but I've got to get
arround the dead on-board ethernet.
Any ideas? Thanks!
kilowatt@cinci.rr.com