Re: an alarming message

Subject: Re: an alarming message
From: Darrin Tams (coloorbust@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 21:19:37 MST

I recieve that all the time from a Terminal Server on our network for some
library terminals. From the research I did on it, it is a harmless
configuration somewhere on your network (probably a Mainframe Server and
terminal host system on your network (Server Service)) broadcassting out a
request to see if it's host is there. At one time I figured out which
service was listening for this on Linux (consequently replying and resulting
with the error message) but then made some changes which must have turned it
back on. I had forgoten which service it was and since then I just let it
go.

Find out who/what is using that IP and you'll know weather or not it is a
harmless server connfiguration trying to talk to another computer or a
trouble user out to get you.