starting up

Subject: starting up
From: John STEINBERGER (yellowdoggeneral@operamail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 01:58:04 MST

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this mailing list. I would like to ask first: is there any place
(on
the yellow dog site for instance) I can find a searchable archive of this
list?
Now my question concerns start-up. I have moderately successfully
installed YDL on my computer, since I've been able to boot it once (though
not in windowsX or startX--the visual window mode). I can't seem to
manage it again though. Here's a list of a few things that go wrong (I am
using yaboot on a G4):

--using the space bar at start-up time crashes my computer on a blank
screen

--i can go into open firmware and type 'boot', though, and then press the
space bar, which lands me a prompt at the top left of a black screen
("press 'tab' for more options") [not a problem in itself, see below]

--typing 'linux' lands 'image not found' so I have to type each time:
hd:9,\\vmlinux (not a very convenient way to boot)

--this lauchnes the YDL startup process with the penguin and all,
"Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux" in the middle of the screen in yellow
letters, and it runs through a bunch of startup stuff

--now problem #1: it says "/dev/hda10 was not cleanly unmounted, check
forced" and it runs through a percentage on the lower right of the screen, 0
through 100, it takes about a minute each time

--problem #2: after all's done it says
kernel panic: machine check
starting sendmail: rebooting in 180 seconds

...and then it waits 180 seconds and 'reboots', going thus back into
macOS. I don't know how to stop this countdown nor how to run the linux!

Please help me,

John

The Fastest Browser on Earth now for FREE!!
Download Opera 5 for Windows now! Get it at
http://www.opera.com/download/