Re: Linux on G3 upgraded with G4 NewerTech Chip

Subject: Re: Linux on G3 upgraded with G4 NewerTech Chip
From: J.T. Travis (jttravis99@jam.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 15:40:27 MST

>I've been trying to do the exact same thing (I have the Newer 400 G4
>upgrade on a 400 G3 machine) and I cannot get it to work. I've
>tried both Yellow Dog and Suse and a lot of things (like different
>kernels) but no luck so far. I have asked if the OS was compatible
>with this card but I haven't gotten a response from anyone, it might
>simply be that none of the PPC ports of Linux works with this chip.
>I'll let you know if I get something going. I'm going to try
>booting from the 2.2.18-kernel as was just suggested by the folks at
>Suse. Good luck and let me know if you make progress.
>
>Anyone else out there ever been able to do this (and how???)
>
>-Aaron

Aaron,
  One of the things that might be giving us so much grief is the fact
that the G3 was an "old world" machine and the G4 a "new world" one.
If the installer is identifying the machine as a G4 and installing a
different set of software that might be the problem. I'm tempted to
put the G3 back in, see if I can get it running, and then reinstall
the G4.

  I know so little about Linux that I don't even know where to begin.
I tried installing Red Hat in Virtual PC so I could learn enough to
get it installed on the upgraded G4 - no go with that project either.
Connectix hasn't email me back about how to do the install - they
sell a package with RH installed so I know it's possible. The nice
thing about running under VPC would be that it would take care of the
mac hardware, important since my machine is "highly accessorized"
(fast ethernet card, wide SCSI, Voodoo 5 video card).

  Keep me in mind if you come across any more info - I've already done
searches on Deja News and read reams of FAQ's. Actually been so
frustrated with it I ordered a refirbished Dell so I'd have a virgin
system to install it on, though I still would like it up on the PPC.

  Joe Travis

--
J.T. Travis
jttravis99@jam.rr.com