Re: Linux on G3 upgraded with G4 NewerTech Chip

Subject: Re: Linux on G3 upgraded with G4 NewerTech Chip
From: Aaron Lawson (aaron@textwise.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 06:59:05 MST

Actually, my blue and White G3 is a "new world" model, so that probably
isn't the problem. The 2.2.18 kernel I tried last night didn't do the
trick, the package installation still fails at k_pmac (the kernel on the
disk, I imagine). I am able to get the system to run in "text mode", which
is an improvement, but the aborted installation leaves me without X-windows.

BTW I have vitual PC Linux and it works without a hitch, it's sloooow though!

-Aaron

At 04:40 PM 1/10/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>I've been trying to do the exact same thing (I have the Newer 400 G4
>>upgrade on a 400 G3 machine) and I cannot get it to work. I've tried
>>both Yellow Dog and Suse and a lot of things (like different kernels) but
>>no luck so far. I have asked if the OS was compatible with this card
>>but I haven't gotten a response from anyone, it might simply be that none
>>of the PPC ports of Linux works with this chip. I'll let you know if I
>>get something going. I'm going to try booting from the 2.2.18-kernel as
>>was just suggested by the folks at Suse. Good luck and let me know if
>>you make progress.
>>
>>Anyone else out there ever been able to do this (and how???)
>>
>>-Aaron
>
>Aaron,
> One of the things that might be giving us so much grief is the fact that
> the G3 was an "old world" machine and the G4 a "new world" one. If the
> installer is identifying the machine as a G4 and installing a different
> set of software that might be the problem. I'm tempted to put the G3
> back in, see if I can get it running, and then reinstall the G4.
>
> I know so little about Linux that I don't even know where to begin. I
> tried installing Red Hat in Virtual PC so I could learn enough to get it
> installed on the upgraded G4 - no go with that project either. Connectix
> hasn't email me back about how to do the install - they sell a package
> with RH installed so I know it's possible. The nice thing about running
> under VPC would be that it would take care of the mac hardware, important
> since my machine is "highly accessorized" (fast ethernet card, wide SCSI,
> Voodoo 5 video card).
>
> Keep me in mind if you come across any more info - I've already done
> searches on Deja News and read reams of FAQ's. Actually been so
> frustrated with it I ordered a refirbished Dell so I'd have a virgin
> system to install it on, though I still would like it up on the PPC.
>
> Joe Travis
>--
>J.T. Travis
>jttravis99@jam.rr.com