Re: using pdisk live

Subject: Re: using pdisk live
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 09:54:15 MST

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

> I've concluded that in order to migrate to yaboot, I need a
> boostrap partition (I think).

This is not exactly correct. You need an HFS partition to boot from, but
it doesn't have to be a dedicated bootstrap partition.

For example, the YDL installation instructions tell you to install yaboot
to the System Folder of your existing Mac OS partition.

Now if you want to use ybin (which is quite convenient) you will need a
dedicated bootstrap partition. I'm not sure what the minimum size
requirement is, but look at it this way: if you're a little over it's
ok. If you're a little under you have to repartition again.

> The only way I can get one,
> however, is to "carve out" an 800K piece of my MacOS partition.
> I backed up the MacOS partition and now I'm wondering if it's
> OK to run pdisk as root and redo the MacOS partition by
> splitting it in two on the "live" disk I'm currently booted
> into Linux from (/dev/hda).
>
> I would think that, since I'm not touching any Linux paritions,
> this should be OK, but I'd like to make absolutely sure. Any
> reason I shouldn't do it this way? Or should I instead boot
> into the rescue RAMdisk image and do it?

You can do this with no problems while running on the same disk, since as
you point out only the Mac OS partitions are being altered. Nothing on the
Linux side will move so much as a block.

-Hollis