Re: using pdisk live

Subject: Re: using pdisk live
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 13:29:10 MST

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Hollis R Blanchard wrote:
>
> > This is not exactly correct. You need an HFS partition to boot from, but
> > it doesn't have to be a dedicated bootstrap partition.
> >
> > For example, the YDL installation instructions tell you to install yaboot
> > to the System Folder of your existing Mac OS partition.
>
> I read somewhere that the MacOS (if I were to boot into MacOS
> on that same partition) has the nasty habit of unblessing
> everything but the System/Finder that will make it unable to
> boot using yaboot. Is that true?

It's not true as much as is claimed. I was using that setup for the entire
summer with no problems. I guess it must happen to some people, but I've
never seen it.

Of course, one solution is not to use "blessing" at all. "Blessed" refers
to a System Folder, but there's no necessary reason to keep yaboot in
there... (If you have a new new-world machine then you can get Linux to
appear in the option-at-boot ROM graphical bootloader, but you pretty much
need ybin for that anyways.)

I'm not saying don't make a bootstrap partition, I'm just telling you it's
not essential to using yaboot.

-Hollis