Stock Kernel compilation errors & module faults

Subject: Stock Kernel compilation errors & module faults
From: Matt Tyndorf (mtyndorf@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 17:02:54 MST

Hey All, been using Linux on PPC for a little while now but am
completely stumped as to why YDL 1.2 is doing this right out of the
box..

On startup, DEPMOD fails to read/write to the module dependencies file,
but the problem is that its looking in the wrong directory, a directory
for a kernel which is NOT installed on the machine.

Right now I'm running a standard install of YDL 1.2, with kernel 2.2.17
(straight off the CD). The startup is expecting kernel 2.2.15, so its
looking in the wrong directory. How do I change this so I can finally
get the DMAsound modules running? (and why is it even expecting 2.2.15
if YDL installs 2.2.17 by default?)

The other problem is that it seems no kernels will compile with the
source provided for 2.2.17 on the CD. It gives an error when doing
"make vmlinux" as it gets to the drivers area... put it this way no
kernels will compile on the machine, I've tried 2.4 with the same
results.

Oh, this install is running on a Powermac 9600/233 (604e PPC) , 128 megs
RAM, 2 gig HD, IMS twinturbo graphics card.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Matt