Re: yellowdog-general Digest 16 Jan 2001 06:20:12 -0000 Issue 326

Subject: Re: yellowdog-general Digest 16 Jan 2001 06:20:12 -0000 Issue 326
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 02:46:04 MST

>On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Jonathan Bertsch wrote:
>
> > > OK, I changed the boot-device in Open Firmware, but when I type
> > > "boot" I get "unrecognized client program format".

boot mac-os. D/l ResEdit from apple. change the type and creator
codes for yaboot to 'tbxi' and 'chrp' respectively (Each code is 4
place, case sensitive). Assuming that it's a valid yaboot file.

> > To boot into linux all the time you need to pass:
>
> If you read the rest of my mail, I said I want a dual boot system.
>
> > setenv boot-device hd:##,yaboot
> > setenv boot-command boot
>
> Where did you see that second line documented?
>
> > and then to boot after that do:
> >
> > boot hd:##,yaboot
>
> Same for that line? Regardless, this doesn't change the fact
> that the program format is unrecognized.
>
> - Paul

It was in my install docs that shipped with my binder and CD's for 1.2
replace the ## with the partition number for whichever partition your
yaboot is located on. That mode of use needs yaboot to be at the root
level of the partition. And the setenv commands are unneeded in some
cases. for example, to boot to linux, I get to open firmware, and
type:

boot hd:9,yaboot

I used to have to type yaboot.tbxi, rather than yaboot, since the
older version was yaboot.tbxi

--
William F. Hostman  |  "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"