hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Subject: hosts.allow & hosts.deny
From: Bryn Hughes (linux@demian.shacknet.nu)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 13:07:59 MST

I'm having some trouble setting up my hosts.allow and hosts.deny files. The
man entries explain everything more or less, except I don't know what the
wildcard entry is! For some reason my man pages are slightly messed up and
I get something like a control character instead of whatever the real
wildcard character is.

What I want to do:

DENY access to everyone, then
ALLOW access to just our internal IP addresses
ALLOW access to a few individual static addresses off site

I don't need to do anything as far as limiting access to specific ports or
anything else exotic at this point as I'm not running mail/web/ftp services
on this machine for anyone other than the above mentioned addresses.

I'm also hoping that ALLOW takes precedence over DENY? Some systems I've
worked with (notably Windows 2000) look at DENY and then ALLOW, which makes
it very difficult to create a "nobody EXCEPT XYZ" type of policy.

Thanks,

Bryn