Re: YDL and SCSI

Subject: Re: YDL and SCSI
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 21:50:58 MST

> >> i need to add in a SCSI adapter to a powermac with PCI
> >> what works?

I'm using an adaptec 2930-UWC card that came with my Blue G3. This is not the
same 2930 card as Adaptec sells (for more money) but a special one made for and
sold by Apple for $49.

Although Apple swears up and down that the board does not support an internal
drive, I've had no problems using it with both the internal scsi drive and the
external zip disk.

While performance may not be the best, it works well enough for my purposes.

I also have replaced the internal 6.0gb EIDE drive with a
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30, ATA DISK drive
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30, 28629MB w/1900kB Cache, CHS=58168/16/63, UDMA
  Vendor: QUANTUM Model: FIREBALL SE8.4S Rev: PJ03

To get this new EIDE drive formatted, I used the MacOS9 version of drive tools
that came on my Apple Care disk. I'm running Mac os 8.5, not 9.0 and have
MacOS in the smallest partition it would fit in. I only use it to do the
taxes.

and get this: Even though Apple says only one EIDE Drive is supported, I stuck
the old 6gb drive in the empty zip drive bay just under the DVD rom drive. It
was either that or throw it away...It works just fine. Again I don't know or
care much about performance at this point. This drive is probably hobbled by
the speed of the DVD rom drive. Someday I'll spring for one of those sonnet 66
mhz EIDE cards, but I don't know if they work under Unix so I'm staying with
the staus quo.

    (scsi0) <Adaptec
AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 1/2/0 (scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI
ID=7, 3/255 SCBs (scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 YES, Ext-50 NO) (scsi0)
Downloading sequencer code... 415 instructions downloaded scsi0:0:3:0)
Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15. scsi0 : Adaptec
AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4 <Adaptec
AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> scsi1 : MESH

-Pat

"Walk softly and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt
"Walk softly and carry a wrist grounding strap...." - Pat Callahan