Re: HELP! Long ping times under Yellow Dog Linux

Subject: Re: HELP! Long ping times under Yellow Dog Linux
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 20:54:04 MST

At 6:05 PM -0700 on 1/19/01, Bryan Stillwell wrote:

>First thing to do is make sure that you're running the latest kernel.
>We have a 2.2.18 kernel available at
>ftp://ftp.terraplex.com/pub/updates/kernel/2.2.18/, but you may want to
>try compiling one of the 2.4 kernels yourself. You can get the source
>by rsync at "http://www.fsmlabs.com/linuxppcbk.html". This will most
>likely solve your problem, because the kernel you are running was
>probably built before your G4 was released.

Bryan,

Thanks for your speedy reply. Being a semi-newbie, can I bother you
with a couple of followup questions please? :-)

I'm suspecting I may have kernel 2.2.15. How do I determine which
kernel I currently have? My /boot directory has files like:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2271644 Mar 7 2000 vmlinux-2.2.15-2.9.0

In the KERNEL 2.2.18 README file, I read that:

To install kernel 2.2.18, run the following:

1) rpm -Uvh kernel-2.2.18-8a.ppc.rpm dev-* mouseconfig-*
2) Copy vmlinux to the location that yaboot looks for your kernel.
3) run mouseconfig and select your mouse
4) reboot (using the new kernel)

Is it really that easy? If things don't work right, can I revert to
the old kernel? This is a production server so I'm very apprehensive
about breaking something I can't fix.

>Other ideas I have that might be happening is you're getting hit by a
>smurf attack (ping flooding a broadcast address), or some other kind of
>attack. Does your hub/switch show many collisions in network activity
>when this happens?

I don't see any unusual collision activity. The problems didn't seem
to be noticeable when the server first went up a couple of months
ago. Since then, our traffic has probably increased but not
dramatically.

It's also a constant situation that gets worse the more traffic the
server is experiencing. In the middle of the night, the server seems
to respond almost normally, but slows to a crawl during peak periods
during the day. That is, the network slows to a crawl... Apache and
other processes are barely idling at 95 to 98% idle.

Thanks very much!

Gawain