Re: iMac

Subject: Re: iMac
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 01:33:16 MST

>Sure enough when the kernel has loaded and the first page of the
>install script appears I can't proceed (because the keyboard isn't
>working).
>

>Now, I've spent the last 5-6 hours wandering around the web looking
>at various bits of information and I'm now completly confused. I hope
>someone can answers these questions for me:

Yes, grab a newer kernel. You might need to do some editing during
the install process. you can see my process for the iMac DVSE (500)
... at http://home.gci.net/~aramis/ydl/index.html

>Can I install to the IMac with what I have on the CD?
>Or do I need a precompiled kernel which has the latest USB stuff?
>It makes sense to me that I would need one of the new kernels but
>since the YDL stuff says that IMacs are supported I presume that the
>kernel on the CD has USB backtracking in it and maybe I'm doing
>something wrong.
if the keyboard won't work, it prolly needs the newer kernels.

>Do I *need* to use yaboot?
>Most of what I've read says that yaboot is obligatory for new-world
>macs (which I presume mine is because it has a nice coloured case and
>it's only 1 month old) but the YDL stuff says to use BootX if you
>can.

yes

>How do I use yaboot?
>Is there a beginners guide to where all the bits have to go? Here are
>my main confusions:

  yaboot and yaboot.conf need to be adjacent; either in the system
folder or at the root level of the partition; it changes how you
point to it. The kernel can be either in the linux filesystem or next
to yaboot. (well, it can be elsewhere, but it is easier to keep it
close)

>- creating HFS partitions, I can only create MacOS Standard or MacOS
>Extended partitions; do these relate to HFS and HFS+ (I presume they
>do)
yes. Std is HFS, extended is HFS+

>- can I have MacOS and a linux boot partition on the same partition?
>if so where do I put the kernel and ramdisk?

Yes. I don't for simplicity (and to prevent accidental tampering).

>- how do the partition's I can see in the Mac disktool relate to hda
>numbers? all the docs for yaboot seem to talk about hda8 or hda0 but I
>don't know which partition is which!

The partitions shown on my machine included 8 non-accessable
partitions plus #9 (which was the Macintosh HD partition). I shrank
9 to 15 GB and then I put 4 more partitions (10-13), and these
numbers are also the hda_ numbers.

>- is there a better native MacOS partition table editor that I should
>be using instead of the disk tool supplied with MacOS?

The rest of what you need to do can be done with pdisk during
install. You will, however, need to do a reboot on exiting pdisk.
You need to shrink the size of the hda9 partition before doing the
install; the mac tool can do this adequately, provided you use it
from the mac OS install CD which came with your machine. Note: when
you do this, if you want a dual boot, you WILL need to reinstall from
the MacOS restore CD or the install CD. After installing, reboot to
macOS from the local drive. Then, with a USB enabled kernel on the
macside, at root on (We can safely assume Partition #9 for iMacs) the
Macintosh HD, copy yaboot, yaboot.conf, and install.image.gz to same
location.

change the lines on the yaboot.conf (use simpletext) so that the
install option points to
        image = hd:9,vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1
        label = install
        initrd = hd:9,ramdisk.image.gz
        append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"
replace "vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1" with the name of the kernel as it
appears in finder. set timeout to at least 250. save, exit. Restart.
at the chime hold down <command>-<option>-o-f (all together). You
will get a white screen. type
        boot hd:9,yaboot
you should next get a black and color screen, it should pause for
input. if you only changed the one section, you're doing fine. either
type install or wait for the timeout (the default setting is usually
install... at least on the CD's.)

>Sorry that these are all so lame... it seems that I'm quite unusual
>in being a non-Mac user installing Linux... most people seem to have
>trouble with the Linux parts. I'm having trouble with the Mac parts.

It took me three weeks of kernel scrounging before I could install.
don't feel bad about asking. It took another month of fiddling until
I realized how to get the mouse working... <G>

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck Nic.

--
William F. Hostman  |  "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"