Re: DNS Resolution Pt. 2

Subject: Re: DNS Resolution Pt. 2
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 10:30:50 MST

Dr. Alfonso F. Agnew's bits of Sun, 21 Jan 2001 translated to:

>I can ping numerical ip's including my nameservers, but not I didn't
>originally try nslookup (I couldn't find it nor the nsswitch.conf file
>discussed in my copy of "Running Linux"). This is what I get:
>
>[root@localhost /root]# nslookup sun.com
>*** Can't find server name for address 129.116.64.10: No response from
>server
>*** Can't find server name for address 129.116.64.8: No response from
>server
>*** Can't find server name for address 129.116.3.2: No response from
>server
>*** Default servers are not available

Hi - The above usually implies that the name servers are not configured
correctly. In particular, they don't know how to do a reverse lookup on
themselves. The real fix would be to have those who administer the name
servers add the correct PTR records (or otherwise configure the servers
to be able to do the reverse lookups).

Aside from that, are you absolutely certain that the servers you list
above are really configured as name servers? Even when I explicitly
specify the server with nslookup or use dig, I get nothing back from
these servers.

Jim