Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1

Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1
From: Vincent Favre-Nicolin (Vincent.Favre-Nicolin@cryst.unige.ch)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 01:21:29 MST

> Although you neglected to mention what machine and boot method
> you are using (always, ALWAYS say at least what machine), it's
> my understanding that if you are using BootX, it leaves the PCI
> bus in a weird state that XFree86 4.x isn't happy with.
> (XFree86 3.x doesn't care). Hence, if you want to use XFree86
> 4.x, you MUST use yaboot. If you're on an old-world machine,
> this implies that you can not use XFree86 4.x.

    That last point at least is wrong. You *can* use XFree
4.0x with oldWorld machines and BootX. I use XFree 4.02 with
my 3dfx cards without problem. And I have received emails
from several other persons in the same configuration (XFree
4.0x, 3dfx, BootX), and they are fine, too.
    So I do not know if the 'weird PCI state' when leaving
BootX also applies to OldWorld Machines, but you can
definitly use BootX with XFree 4.0x.

--
Vincent Favre-Nicolin                http://www.unige.ch/crystal/favrev/
Laboratoire de Cristallographie      Phone: +41 (22) 702 60 79