Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1

Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1
From: Larry Kollar (kollar@alltel.net)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 05:07:52 MST

Neil Jolly wrote:

>I've compiled the 2.4 kernel with support for rage 128 & 64 (among other
>things), the kernel boots into runlevel 3 alright, but as soon as i startx or
>change to runlevel 5 the screen blanks and the system appears to freeze
>(haven't tried sshing in from anywhere yet).

Have you tried doing Cmd-Ctrl-F1 to get back to the console after the
system "appears to freeze"?

I have a similar problem, only from the opposite end and not all
the time (in fact, it hasn't happened at all recently) -- the system
appears to hang, on occasion, when I log out of an X session. I can
flip back to console 1, log in, and kill the kdm process. This seems
to give X the slap upside the head that it needs, and I'll get the
login screen.

Even switching to the text console, then back to the X screen, is
sometimes enough to wake it up.

In your case, you may find that your computer hasn't crashed &
the console screen has a list of errors that an expert like Ani
or some of the others can use to determine what's going wrong.

>Anybody know if I have to run Xfree 4.0.2 or some such
>thing. X works great under 2., and there are no
>errors in the log either. The log just ends partway through.

By "under 2." I assume you meant kernel 2.2.x? At least you have
a good fallback position. :-) Post your hardware info, and be
ready to hand out your 2.4 .config file to someone who knows what
they're doing (that's not me). It may be something as simple as
disabling framebuffer support during the config.

        Larry