Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1

Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 07:14:55 MST

> Although you neglected to mention what machine and boot method
> you are using (always, ALWAYS say at least what machine), it's
> my understanding that if you are using BootX, it leaves the PCI
> bus in a weird state that XFree86 4.x isn't happy with.
> (XFree86 3.x doesn't care). Hence, if you want to use XFree86
> 4.x, you MUST use yaboot. If you're on an old-world machine,
> this implies that you can not use XFree86 4.x.
>
> If anybody knows the above to be false (by actually running
> XFree86 4.x on a machine booted with yaboot, please correct me).

I run 402 and BootX on 2 9500-class machines with no problems. I have
a 6500 with BootX for which I cannot launch X402 without fatal errors
involving the atimisc module, regardless of whether I install from
available rpms or build from source. That one is really aggravating
me, because there appears to be -no- resolution to the issue. If
anyone is running X402 on a 6500, I really want to talk to you!

Stefan Jeglinski