Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1

Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 08:36:22 MST

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Neil Jolly wrote:
>
> > I've compiled the 2.4 kernel with support for rage 128 & 64 (among
other
> > things), the kernel boots into runlevel 3 alright, but as soon as i
startx or
> > change to runlevel 5 the screen blanks and the system appears to
freeze

> Although you neglected to mention what machine and boot method
> you are using (always, ALWAYS say at least what machine), it's
> my understanding that if you are using BootX, it leaves the PCI
> bus in a weird state that XFree86 4.x isn't happy with.
> (XFree86 3.x doesn't care). Hence, if you want to use XFree86
> 4.x, you MUST use yaboot. If you're on an old-world machine,
> this implies that you can not use XFree86 4.x.

Yes I probably should mention that I'm using a biege G3 wth an at1 rage
128 Nexxus video card ( the stock rage 64 is still installed, but not
being used), and that I'm using bootx. However my main concern here was
is XFree86-4.0.1 compatible with the 2.4 kernel. I suspect the problem
may lie with the Nexxus video card.

> If anybody knows the above to be false (by actually running
> XFree86 4.x on a machine booted with yaboot, please correct me).

Definately false, as I've been running XFree86-4.0.1 for a month or so
now with no problem.

"Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of
handguns and tequila."

                   Mitch Radcliffe

Neil Jolly
http://www.members.home.net/njolly/xppc/index.htm