Re: MOL and Audio CDs

Subject: Re: MOL and Audio CDs
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 09:28:29 MST

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Joss Winn wrote:

> I have an iMac DV 500mhz with OS9.04 Japanese and SUSE 7.0PPC. All is
> well but for a couple fo things.
>
> FIRST, I have folowed the very recent instructions on the SUSE support site
> to get MOL working but alas, all I get is a bank grey X screen. I
> have been given a molrc that works for someone else (different
> machine and apple OS) and that produces the same results. MOL seems
> to get so near yet so far from working. I don't get a chime, just a
> grey X window. Would having the japanese OS be the problem.

It could be. I assume you're using the Japanese Mac OS ROM file as rom/rom.nw?
If possible, try installing a "normal" system (and maconlinux.org has a copy
of a "normal" Mac OS ROM file), maybe on another partition, and try booting
that.

> SECOND, I know there are issues with playing audio CDs on the newest
> iMacs so I have followed the instructions at imaclinux.net that are
> supposed to get Audio Cds working with xmms but these don't work.

I got xmms-cdread working here... how does it "not work"? Are you adding
/dev/cdrom to your playlist?

> Also, I have heard I can at least rip the tracks and play them off my
> hard disk but cdparanoia doesn't recognise any CD in the drive. Data
> discs/mp3 discs are fine.

cdparanoia needs permissions to devices other than the normal cdrom. You could
either figure out what it needs (it has a -search and -verbose flags as I
recall) and grant it access, or just run it as root.

-Hollis